The use of wood is quite widespread in construction, repair and, of course, in furniture. Ecologically clean natural material has highly aesthetic decorative properties. However, wooden elements are prone to the negative effects of humidity, temperature changes and insects. The most common and effective modern methods of protecting wood and extending the service life of wooden countertops are to cover their surface with special wax oils or varnish.
Varnish and oil functions
Coating a wooden tabletop with oil-wax or varnish performs two main functions:
Lacquer and oil coatings of the tabletop protect the surface from:
- mechanical effects, abrasion,
- penetration of moisture and dust into the pores of the tree,
- thermal effects (boiling water, hot cups),
- pollution (for example, from spilled juice), etc.
Both varnish and oil can significantly improve the appearance of a wooden tabletop:
- the coating enhances the natural color of the tree,
- the coating emphasizes the wood texture,
- the coating can change color, imitating other types of wood, or create bright color compositions,
- the coating can create a glossy, semi-glossy or matte surface.
Varnish treatment of a wooden tabletop
Apparently, the demand for wooden countertops will always be high. After all, wood is a living natural material capable of creating an atmosphere of sophistication, coziness and comfort in the premises. However, wood requires special care and protection. It is for this purpose that varnishing of wood is widely used.
With the help of this treatment, you can not only increase the moisture resistance of wooden countertops, protect them from mechanical damage, exposure to light, dirt and other adverse factors, but also give them an elegant appearance, fixing and emphasizing the beauty of the natural pattern of the treated surface.
ADLER varnishes are tested by TEHNOTABLE
ADLER furniture varnishes perfectly protect wood and meet the highest standards. The TehnoTable company successfully uses ADLER varnishes in the processing of table tops for the production of tables with adjustable height. A large assortment of ADLER is able to satisfy any customer. ADLER offers polyurethane and water-soluble varnishes that guarantee high resistance to chemical and mechanical influences and ease of application.
Properties of ADLER varnishes:
- high resistance to weathering and long-term elasticity;
- excellent insulating action against soluble components of wood;
- high protection against corrosion;
- heat resistance up to 100 ° C (for heating radiators);
- do not have a pronounced unpleasant smell;
- resistant to gluing into a block;
- do not have a tendency to yellowing;
- meet the requirements of ÖNORM EN 71-3 “Safety of toys” (does not contain heavy metals);
- meet the requirements of ÖNORM S 1555 and DIN 53160 (resistant to saliva and sweat)
Treatment of the wooden tabletop with oil-wax
Treatment of wood with the help of wax oil gives the product a decorative, finished look, and also protects against deterioration, rotting and mechanical injuries. A mixture of valuable natural oils and wax restores the natural beauty of wood. Oil protects wood from moisture and dirt. Suitable for all types of untreated wooden surfaces, for hard and soft wood species. This tabletop treatment is natural, ecological, and safe. It is ideal for people with respiratory diseases and prone to allergic reactions.
It is believed that it is possible to make wax oil for wood yourself. However, preference should be given to a proven high-quality manufacturer. Special attention should be paid to the composition of the product.
Festool natural wood oil does not contain solvents, cobalt, effectively penetrates the surface, saturates it and forms a protective layer. The main components of the product: linseed oil, polymerized wood oil, nut oil, beeswax, microcrystalline wax.
Advantages of Festool wax oil:
- not harmful to health, it is a natural product;
- penetrates deeply into the wood;
- restores and emphasizes the wood structure;
- possesses the strongest natural antiseptic;
- UV resistant;
- wear resistance;
- does not crack or peel;
- has a pleasant smell;
- very easy to use.
Comparison of varnishes and oils
Comparative aesthetic and operational characteristics of wax oils and varnishes for covering wooden table tops:
- ADLER varnish – high-quality synthetic material, not harmful to health; Festool wax oil is an environmentally safe natural material;
- varnish creates more shine, the varnished surface is completely smooth; oil creates less shine, leaving the natural texture of the wood more pronounced;
- varnish creates a strong protective film, although oil in combination with hard wax is not inferior in this varnish treatment;
- varnish is not recommended for finishing surfaces intended for cooking, while oil-wax is also suitable for kitchen worktops.